Delectable Recipe Alert: Chocolate Elderberry Energy Bites (No Bake)
We are getting creative in the kitchen this Valentine's Day! It's fun to mix it up and find new ways to use our elderberry syrup or tonic. Make yourself some super delicious and nutritious Chocolate Elderberry Energy Bites. All you need is 7 simple ingredients to make these. You will also need to have a food processor, spatula to not miss any chunks, and a plate for rolling balls in the hemp seeds.
- 1 cup Pitted Dates (Best if dates are soft and less dried out. If dry, you can soak in water for 10 minutes and drain thoroughly before using.)
- 2 tbsps Elderberry Syrup or Tonic (We use our own Sweet Efflorescence brand made by yours truly, but any will do!)
- 3/4 cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chips (can use bar or baking brick)
- 1/4 cup Nut Butter of Choice (we are choosing Peanut Butter this time)
- 1 tbsp Hemp Seeds + 1/4 cup for rolling (optional, but preferable to make the balls less sticky)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- First put the pitted dates in the food processor and mix until it forms into a ball where most of the chunks are out.
- Add the elderberry tonic or syrup, oats, chocolate chips, nut butter, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, and cinnamon to the food processor. Mix until combined and where it turns into a giant ball again.
- Pour 1/4 cup hemp seeds onto a plate for rolling (may need to add more depending on size of balls).
- Carefully roll into about 1-inch balls, using the warmth of your hands to mold them together. Once formed roll it into the hemp seeds on your plate. Should yield 14-15 balls. You can adjust the size based on preference for more or less pieces. (Don't be afraid to get messy hands because they will be a bit sticky.)
- Eat and enjoy!
The No Sugar Added Elderberry + Zinc Tonic was used in this version and it gave the flavor the perfect sweetness for my taste buds. My husband approved too and he's the bigger sweet tooth, but our syrup with raw GA honey will also work well in this recipe!